Maritime Division provides secretarial services to the Domestic Shipping Licensing Board and is responsible to process and issue Domestic Shipping Licence.
DSL required for all ships operating to and from any port or place in Malaysia (including the Exclusive Economic Zone)
The Maritime Division provides secretariat services to the Domestic Shipping Licensing Board which approves and issues Domestic Shipping Licence (DSL).
All ships operating to and from any port or place in Malaysia (including Exclusive Economic Zone) are requiers to have a DSL. Vessels that provide services other than fishing in Malaysian waters such as dredging, cable and pipe installation and hydrographic research are also required to possess a DSL. All these are categorized as domestic shipping services.
Under the Merchant Shipping Ordinance (MSO) 1952, only Malaysian ships are allowed to provide domestic shipping services in Malaysian waters and the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)
However, foreign vessels may be allowed to provide domestic shipping services by way of exemption by the Minister of Transport provided there is no availability of Malaysian ships or Malaysian vessels could not provide the required services.
Certain types of ships are exempted from DSL requirements.
Below are vessels that are exempted from DSL requirements: -
- Vessel below 15 NRT (Nett Registered Tonnage)
- Vessel licensed under section 475 MSO 1952 (licensed boats)
- Vessel licensed under the MSO 1960 Sabah
- Vessel licensed under the MSO 1960 Sarawak
- Vessel belonging to or in the employment of the Federal Government or any state or any Port Authority
Policy Guidelines Cabotage Exemption for Sabah, Sarawak and Labuan
Application for DSL can be made over through the counter or the website
Application of License
Application for Domestic Shipping Licence is via:
On-line payment services (e-Payment) either through:
- Financial Process Exchange (FPX);
- Bank Transfer;
- Credit Card
Client Charter is formulated to ensure speedy, efficient services and meeting customers’ expectation
Client charter for the issuance of DSL:
- To process and approve DSL within 2 working days upon receipt of complete application before 3.00 pm. (Applications received and processed after 3:00 pm will be considered as 'next day application')
- To print DSL within 1 working day for applications approved and payment received before 4.00pm.
Certification MS ISO 9001:2008
MS ISO 9001: 2008 Certification
Maritime Division has received the MS ISO 9001: 2008 Certification on 20th December 2013 to ensure that services provided meet customer needs. Through this, the process of issuance of DSL are in compliance with standards and specifications set out.