Accounts Division was established on September 2006, as a Self Accounting Department in accordance with Treasury Instruction 139. In ensuring Accounts Division undertake its responsibilities efficiently and effectively, the division is divided into four main functions namely Financial Accounting (Payment, Accounts, Payroll and Assets), Consultation, Monitoring, Management Accounting and two other general functions namely Information Technology and Administration.
In our effort to improve public system delivery and provide excellent accounting services, we promise to:
- Payments completed within 3 calendar days from the date of payment vouchers approved;
- Credit monthly salary for government personnel and administration officers of the ministry not later than the date stipulated by the federal government;
- Process bulk payment within 5 working days after receiving AP504 file from the agencies;
- Process staff advance (AP59) within 14 calendar days from the date of application received;
- Provide advisory and consultancy services to the departments and agencies which related to public accounting and finance within 3 working days from the date of enquiry received;
- Provide Inspectorate Report within 14 calendar days from the exit conference date.
Mangement Accounting Section
To provide relevant information and reports in assisting top management in decision making on the following matters:
- Provide costs information to evaluate ministrial programs executed under the Outcome Based Budgeting (OBB) and other cost related information needed for management references.
- Prepare Cost Analysis to be used by management for monitoring purposes.
- Prepare Financial Analysis and reports for top management to make decision.
- Analyse and provide information on assets, liabilities and other commitments of the Ministry for financial planning preparation.
Finance Accounting Section
To ensure financial information as below is prepared correctly and timely:
- Manage revenues / account receivables
- Manage payments / account payables
- Perform bulk payments to agencies
- Provide technical assistance to Responsibility Centres on operational issues
- Prepare accounting operations analysis for management monitoring purposes
- Manage Subsidiary Account/Ledgers
- Manage Imprest Accounts
- Manage Trust Accounts
- Manage Deposit Accounts
- Prepare monthly / yearly Financial Statements of the Ministry
- Provide bank reconciliation for Ministry’s Receipts and Payment Accounts
- Manage cheque / telegraphic transfer and EFT rejection / cancelled cheque
- Manage accounting for assets and inventories
- Prepare analysis of assets’ useful life and recommendation of asset disposal/replacement for management
- Ensure Accrual & Cash Ledger are accurate
To provide consultancy on financial and management accounting and application of accounting systems as follows:
- Consult Responsibility Centres on financial and management accounting matters.
- Consult and monitor the implementation of accounting system (iGFMAS) at department and agencies under the ministry
- Prepare analysis on consultation issues for management to decide on follow up actions
- Provide expert opinions and problem solving solutions related to accrual accounting issues
- Plan and organize trainings on accounting programs to produce competent staffs
- Ensure all accounting officers undergo trainings and continuous development programs for technical skill and knowledge enhancement
- Prepare post training analysis to evaluate on the program's effectiveness towards participants.
To monitor compliance and verification on financial and management accounting practices in the Ministry as follows:
- Perform Compliance Audit
- Prepare analysis on compliance and verification issues for management review
- Implement Financial Risk Management
- Perform Receipting Compliance Audit
- Perform Revenue Collection Verification
Administration And Finance Unit
Manage divisional administrative and financial matters
- Perform administrative affairs
- Perform financial functions
- Handle store and assets matters
- Handle staffs and service matters
- Prepare financial analysis on budget and spending for management review
- To ensure efficient, effective and sound accounting system in Ministry of Transport.
- To monitor the revenue and trust receipts of Federal Government and to take necessary steps in ensuring that the revenue or trust is collected timely.
- To ensure that only authorized expenses are charged and recorded in the accounts accordingly.
- To report to the Ministry’s Secretary General any material irregularity related to the accounts under his/her jurisdiction.